*1850's Fairview School was the first to open in the area
*1859 Bethlehem Lutheran Church was formed; Pastor E.C. Stubenvoll preached at the church for 44 years
*1860 Creation of Pella Township
*Town inhabitants voted to raise a tax of $600 for a road to Belle Plaine
*First town ordinance: "Any bull of age two-years or greater, not be allowed to run at large. A fine of $2 shall be forfeited to a Justice of the Peace upon conviction of breaking this law."
*Most inhabitants were of German origin and were farmers
*1878 St. Peter's Church began and the current church was built in 1917 for about $12,600
*1890's District voters tackled a controversial health question as to whether students were required to be vaccinated.
*Marnie Banter was the teacher at Fairview School in the 1890's and was paid $34/month for the five month winter term.
*By 1905, the town's population was 993.
*The village of Pella centered around a sawmill built by William Smith.
*The sawmill was purchased by Fred and August Grosskopf in 1900.
*Village businesses included a blacksmith shop, general store, and saloon/hotel
*Several cheese factories were in operation around the village: Pella Cheese Factory, Rickert Cheese Factory, and Smithville Cheese Company
*Social dances were popular in the early 1900's on the second floor of the corner saloon
*In 1913, Martin Wege purchased the Pella Village Park for $600 from Anna Smith. He built a saloon and a bowery where dances were held.
Source: McDevitt, Robert. From Sawmills to Villages . Marion Advertiser, Marion, January 1, 1996.